OFI UK Fan Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is OFI your first or second team?

3 posters

Go down

Is OFI your first or second team? Empty Is OFI your first or second team?

Post  Cullenakis Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:12 pm

OK, for the Greekies here I can imagine that OFI will be your first team, it makes sense. If so, what is your second team? Do you even have one? Do you like a bigger European, British team?

I'm no hairy Greek and have evolved considerably more in terms of the amount of hair on my body, which is why OFI is not my first team.

Forget 'El Greco'. You can call me 'El Anglo'.

I'm a Liverpool fan who has grown to love OFI.

Tell me all.
Cullenakis
Cullenakis

Back to top Go down

Is OFI your first or second team? Empty Re: Is OFI your first or second team?

Post  simonofi Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 pm

OFI for me and ONLY OFI.
Fuck the rest, OFI is the best! Very Happy
I watch Leicester City and Burton Albion from time to time because they are near my home, but I would not call myself a fan.
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  antfouk Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:35 pm

OFI aside, I've liked some teams abroad for a ridiculous variety of reasons - wouldn't qualify as 'fan', though. Why the hell did I come to like Spurs when I was 8? Liverpool was flying at the time! Why Argentina and not Brazil? Everyone supported Brazil! They played glorious football in the first World Cup I can recall - 1982 - while Argentina were an ill-tempered bunch of dirty, undisciplined purported artists. Why Napoli and Fiorentina instead of mighty Milan? Why the underachieving Barcelona of the 80s?

Looking back at all the above teams, their main common factor was their 'outsider' quality at the time. I wanted to go against the grain and maybe also sensed something not-so-human in perfection: I admired Brazil and Liverpool, but I sided with good teams, which were historically inclined to play good football, but were not the giants that would trample everyone else under their feet! Maybe I was just projecting my love of OFI on a bigger scale, with 'rags-to-riches' Napoli - also away from the power centres, also located in the south of the country - being the prime example. With Barca, it was the cavalier spirit, their propensity to live and die by the same type of football. It was the fact that there was no middle ground: great victories and great defeats! And with Fiorentina, well... I liked the colour... (NOW, THAT'S GAY, not basketball! jocolor) As a kid, I guess that names and colours count for more than history...

In any case, maybe some of the best moments in watching football come when you sit to watch a game as a neutral, and as the game progresses you become so involved that you root for one of the teams; when the game has a 'story' to tell and you identify with its heroes...

What about you then? Are you from Liverpool, Ireland...?

Simonofi, how are Leicester City doing? My God, they used to be so dire when I lived there... Much like Rehhagel's Greece... Still, I liked the underdog mentality!

Last edited by antfouk on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 pm

When Mandaric first took over he made some really bad mistakes.
But.. even though he is obviously looking to profit from getting them to the Premier League and selling on he has now made some very good decisions and I like the way he goes about running a football club.
He talks a good fight and keeps everyone exited with regular signings and clever marketing.
They have an outside shout of top 6 this season, but more likely next season after cementing their place back in the championship.
The club itself is very healthy. 30,000+ crowds in Division 3 shows the depth of support!
I am dreading trying to get tickets when they are back in the Premier League!
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  antfouk Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks for the Leicester City update, mate! Cool

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Spurs are flying! Redknapp is a crook but he has that magic touch with players also. They all seem to love playing for him.
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  Cullenakis Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:26 pm

There is no way I could be satisfied with only watching Greek football. It is just too slow and one dimensional at times, well, most of the time. If I hadn't got into OFI I'd probably only take in a few games a year. As it is, especially with our new found independence, I'm relishing this season. I'll definitely be seeing a lot more of OFI than I will Liverpool. Liverpool seems like my wife and OFI is like the naughty mistress I see at weekends.

I'm so glad we're back in our old stadium.

Cullenakis
Cullenakis

Back to top Go down

Post  antfouk Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:13 pm

simonofi wrote:Spurs are flying! Redknapp is a crook but he has that magic touch with players also. They all seem to love playing for him.

some black cat you are, my friend! Spurs have just crashed on earth...

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:08 pm

You have just been.... ManUred!
I think you can discard the games against them, the Blue scum and the mickey mousers!
Although 4th place is achievable!
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum