OFI UK Fan Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The joke that is UEFA

3 posters

Go down

The joke that is UEFA Empty The joke that is UEFA

Post  simonofi Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:28 pm

So, UEFA ban Eduardo for diving in Arsenal's game with Celtic.
Then on appeal they overturn their own decision and cancel the punishment on the basis that there was no evidence the player intentionally tried to deceive the referee.
Now forgive me if I have missed something, but if that was the case why on earth did they punish him in the first place?
UEFA look more and more inept and idiotic by the day.
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

The joke that is UEFA Empty Re: The joke that is UEFA

Post  antfouk Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah, I heard too... I mean, I have a legal background, I've been convinced of the need to have two shots for justice, but hey, this is a bloody 10'' piece of football, not some off-shore tax-evasion scandal... Was there new evidence? Maybe Eduardo's neighbours, flabbergasted at the news of his dive? "We see him every morning opening the door to get the milk, and he's a smiling, polite gentleman. We would never even suspect him of diving, not for one second! We would like to assure the nation of his integrity and wish to contribute to fair-play and society in general." Pathetic...

Do you still believe UEFA are targetting English clubs? Smile

btw, now that we talk about fair-play, I'm not convinced Adebayor intentionally stamped on van Persie. He's never had full control over those long limbs. But his overall genial campaign for never setting foot in London again will not exactly help his defence...

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Yes! I am certain UEFA and FIFA want to use their get new campaigns on English football to fuck it whilst trying to change some things about the game. If it works it's a double win for them.
However, they are a thick as shit, and no one here takes either body seriously and they are seen as a joke.
The bottom line for me is they were so exited about banning Eduardo and punishing Arsenal they did it without stopping to think. Of course a good lawyer with a braincell on behalf of Arsenal soon made mincemeat of their pathetic decision.

FIFA and UEFA are as bent if not more bent than many of the dark aspects of the beautiful game. They regularly turn a blind eye to some of football's darkest secrets as it suits their agenda or moreover their bank balance.
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  antfouk Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Why fuck it and in whose favour?

That's not to deny the skeletons in their cupboards...

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  matador4herso Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:00 pm

I really dont care that much about Edwardoo's diving,but cause you re talking about UEFA,hava a look in my latest blog achive,about (how you call it)setting games?agreed games? ,and the issue with Mr Achileas Beos Cool
I suppose ,you can translate the interview of the uefa executive ,so i wont spent my time on that...

http://myron4hersonissos.blogspot.com/2009/09/blog-post_14.html

matador4herso

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:57 pm

English football is far too powerful and they don't like it.
It is the most watched league in the World, and as a result it makes the patterns for other Leagues to follow. They have no control at all and they hate it, partly because it makes them irrelevant and partly because they don't earn as much money as they could.
Add to the Platini being French so it is in his blood to hate anything English and bingo..
Had an English team spent money like Real did this summer you can be sure they would have had a lot to say on the subject, and would have tried to put a stop to it I am sure.
They have zero credibility inside the game here also, which they probably hate. But with this pathetic experiment of two extra officials in Europa league games despite the advice of players, officials and referee for goalmouth technology they continue to marginalize themselves.
I would love to see the English leagues break away from UEFA and see how long they would last!
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  antfouk Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Well, I think it's at once more complicated and simpler than that.

UEFA's basic consideration is football as a business. What's bad for business, is bad for UEFA. In this respect, it's simpler.

On the other hand, it's more complicated than a simple, unaccounted for, hatred of the English. To suggest that UEFA doesn't control the Premier League and that's an issue, means that for you it controls other Leagues. Is that really the case? UEFA is as relevant in England, as it is in other countries. No more, no less. Exactly which source of money are you implying they eye in the Premier League?

The bottom line is business sense. I'm sure that Platini is pulling some strings, but not to the extent the he damages UEFA interests in England or elsewhere. They need a strong Premier League, and the Premier League needs the UEFA competitions. It takes two to tango. But not too strong a Premier League; not to the extent that it almost monopolizes the semifinals of the Champions League for years in a row. It's not that UEFA hates the English, rather that it wants to protect its business. This was amply demonstrated in Chelsea's elimination last year. Now is that fair play? Obviously not, and I understand that many English will feel hard-done. On the other hand, as a fan I'd like to see a more level playing field, and some preservation of schools of football and diverse national styles. So in this aspect my preferences coincide with UEFA's interest in protecting its commercial brand. I'd welcome any measure for transfer budget restrictions, wage limits or native players quotas; anything that would open up the competition, even at the expense of superteams (was the NBA harmed by the salary cap? On the contrary!!). I'm not sure if UEFA eventually moves towards this direction, but, if it does, it will be inevitable that the teams most harmed will be the ones that hold the upper hand in the current balance of power - and most prominent among them are the English.

So I don't think there's an inherent anti-English bias. If, say, Italian teams were as dominant as they used to be, I'm sure UEFA would do exactly what they're doing now.
Besides, Real spent silly money this summer, but Chelsea also did a few years ago (not as much, but still...), Man City also spent very big, and UEFA was nowhere to be seen. And we could also say that the origin of Abramovich's money was more questionable than Real's: from a legal point of view, that's for sure (I've already blasted Real's spending from a moral and a fan's point of view).

You really think you could split away from UEFA??Shocked C'me on, admit it, you've grown to love the Ch.L.! Especially after making a habit of winning it! Very Happy

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:01 am

Some great points friend.
For me the fact that the English league is the market leader just spurs them on more!
UEFA's interferences in the game almost always seem to have a negative effect.
For me UEFA should be a facilitator to the mass opinions of those who play the game, yet it seems to completely ignore the feelings of it's members and do whatever it likes no matter how ridiculous their decision appear.
Maybe if the English leagues walked away in protest then they would start to realize that their role should be to in partnership with their members rather than throwing banana skins under their feet at every opportunity.
They needs England, Spain, Italy and Germany more that those nations need UEFA.
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  antfouk Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:48 am

In principle I agree with much of what you say, but still you haven't told me in which specific way UEFA seeks to harm English teams. Which are the banana skins? When you talk about interferences, you seem to imply that they were aimed at the English, don't you? Because in general UEFA's interferences have produced mixed results - and we can even argue that some of them actually benefit the English. For instance, preventing the goalies from grabbing the ball after a return pass and from taking ages to kick it back to the field must have harmed defensive teams. It may well have added to the Italians' downfall and assisted the fast-paced English teams. Obviously UEFA did it for their commercial brand, but indirectly there must have been winners and losers. I know little about the two extra referees, but what you say makes sense. Still, it may be silly or simply wrong, but not biased towards specific nations. And hey, it's a pilot phase, I guess!

Yes, UEFA are a bureaucratic elite. Yet, for me it's not UEFA vs clubs and fans. Not all fans have the same interests, and neither do teams and national associations. If, say, English teams split from UEFA, would they stick to national competitions? No, that's financial suicide! Would they try to pursue a closed league with other European clubs? In this case, my interests as a fan are completely different, because this possibility excludes whole countries and eliminates both surprise and change. Would they go for a 'Champions League'-like competition led by an association of leagues? Most probably. But isn't that dangerously close to what UEFA is and reproducing the same problems? Finally, such an organisation could have a detrimental effect on UEFA competitions-'proper': national teams' competitions.

Gosh, I hate being the devil's advocate!

Let's turn the tables Very Happy . What would you like to see from UEFA as a fan?

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  matador4herso Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:22 pm

I would love to see the salary cup for all the clubs.And a limit in the foreign players,i dont know how possible is that to happen though...

matador4herso

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:04 pm

I think given the open free market and the EU legislation it would not be legally possible to put on salary or quota caps.
In addition, if for example Spain, Italy and England put on salary caps, then the players would just go to Germany and France and earn more. If it was Europe wide that would open the door to a strong Asian league who would gladly pay the money and reap the rewards.

I don't think in a million years the English teams will break away. I also agree that it would be bad news for all football fans if a breakaway European league started and European football fragmented.
The problem I have with UEFA is that they set themselves up to work against rather than with the major leagues in Europe. They are arrogant, pompous and incompetent, and refuse to listen to the concensus amongst the major European clubs just because they want to prove they are in charge in some testosterone fueled we are the bosses trip.

The banana skins are many. The quotas they are trying to force upon all European leagues punish the Premier league more than any other as we have the most diverse collection of players.
And I don't understand or like it. If I was a highly skilled professional (I wish) and I got offered a job in Greece I wouldn't want the governing body of my profession telling me which countries I could work in, or indeed how much money I can earn.
Then they chose to punish a player at an English team for diving, then Punish an English team for transfer irregularities, both of which have been going on far more frequently and blatantly all over the continent but they never said a word!
Then they criticize us for the amount of games we play, then they accuse us of inflating the transfer market. Despite the fact we have some of the most modern and for sure best stadiums in the World to watch the game they chose to ignore us for major finals.
Then 3 out of 4 teams in the Champions league semi finals were English so Platini starts making statements about handicapping certain Leagues and punishing teams who borrow money to improve their squad. I mean, I run a small business and how on earth could I have bettered it and made it stronger without a bank loan?! scratch
He sounds like Stalin!

Last summer he attacked the big clubs here for their huge debts, then this year Real borrow Billions and he says fuck all!?
To boot one of the worst structural league systems in Europe is the French one, where if you qualify for the champions league the rewards are so much bigger than compared to the rest that the domination of those clubs is ensured.

Here are some quotes from the wally...

“I would love to give the Champions League to Juventus. I was in Turin when Del Piero stunned Iker Casillas of Real Madrid.” (12/29/08) Chelsea plays Juventus in the next stage of the Champions League.

“I want to create a situation where every team has a chance of winning and there is a more level playing field. But in England teams win either with morality or without it. We want transparency and financial fair play, but sometimes you do not have that in England” (2/6/09) This quote speaks for itself.

“Nothing. England should have done better on the pitch. I don’t want to say that we’re missing England. If England aren’t capable of finishing in the top two of a group of six, that’s their problem.” (7/6/08) His response when asked whether he missed England competing at Euro 2008.

“But it’s ridiculous. I don’t need to say more. How one guy can cost £150m is ridiculous. From a football point of view, social point of view and every point of view.” (2/6/09) His thoughts regarding Manchester City’s pursuit of Kaka.

“They had Di Stefano and Puskas in the past, and as Ronaldo is considered one of the best or the best player in the world it’s normal. If the club has the finances they can do it, if they don’t have the money they can’t.” (6/28/08) What he said regarding Real Madrid’s 120 million pound attempt to buy Christiano Ronald. Apparently that’s not ridiculous.

UEFA need to start to work for the good of their members and not against their interests.
If this plank carries on the way he is he will alienate UEFA against the major players and the fragmentation of European football will happen.
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  antfouk Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Wow, I expected a long answer, but, mate, you've done some research! Very Happy

simonofi wrote:I think given the open free market and the EU legislation it would not be legally possible to put on salary or quota caps.
That's true. If there is wide consensus, though, the law can change. The legal formulas are there, it's the political will that matters.

In addition, if for example Spain, Italy and England put on salary caps, then the players would just go to Germany and France and earn more. If it was Europe wide that would open the door to a strong Asian league who would gladly pay the money and reap the rewards.

Well, the salary cap isn't a synonym for players on the dole! I admit that the comparison with basketball and the NBA is not perfect, because the financial and quality gap between the NBA and the rest of the world used to be huge. Now, Europe doesn't enjoy the same dominance in football, but any wage restrictions could still be set at a level that would keep competitors at bay, at least mid-term.

The problem I have with UEFA is that they set themselves up to work against rather than with the major leagues in Europe. They are arrogant, pompous and incompetent, and refuse to listen to the concensus amongst the major European clubs just because they want to prove they are in charge in some testosterone fueled we are the bosses trip.

You bet! One reservation, though. Are you sure there is consensus (not that UEFA would pay attention anyway...)?

The banana skins are many. The quotas they are trying to force upon all European leagues punish the Premier league more than any other as we have the most diverse collection of players.

Not true. Most European teams have diverse rosters, don't they? And it's a welcome measure, because it will keep native production of decent players at a good level.

And I don't understand or like it. If I was a highly skilled professional (I wish) and I got offered a job in Greece I wouldn't want the governing body of my profession telling me which countries I could work in, or indeed how much money I can earn.

If you're good enough to receive an offer (as less non-native players will be employed in Europe), no country will be off limits. On the contrary, at the moment it is your national legislation, with the work-permit rule, that prevents certain players from joining English clubs. As for the money, USA is the most free-market country in the world, but its basketball players never complain about the salary cap, because everybody acknowledges its positive impact in creating a more level playing field. But I do recognize that the success of such a system lies in its details and application.

Then they chose to punish a player at an English team for diving, then Punish an English team for transfer irregularities, both of which have been going on far more frequently and blatantly all over the continent but they never said a word!
Then they criticize us for the amount of games we play, then they accuse us of inflating the transfer market. Despite the fact we have some of the most modern and for sure best stadiums in the World to watch the game they chose to ignore us for major finals.
Then 3 out of 4 teams in the Champions league semi finals were English so Platini starts making statements about handicapping certain Leagues and punishing teams who borrow money to improve their squad. I mean, I run a small business and how on earth could I have bettered it and made it stronger without a bank loan?! scratch
He sounds like Stalin!

You got some points there. I've said before that the introduction of new measures and rules usually upsets the balance of power, and English teams may be among the losers, not because of anti-English bias, but because they happen to hold the upper hand e.g. transfer budget restrictions, wage restrictions. But on the cases you touch, I've said I was in favour of the interventions in principle, as I'm giving UEFA the benefit of doubt. If they've decided to finally apply the rules and come on hard on divers and young players' grabbers and financial scums, I'm all for it. But if they have double standards and target the English, I'm siding with you. It's true that the UEFA reaction to Real's spending spree doesn't bode well for equal standards... As for the host cities, I don't agree... I saw the list, and I don't see any injustice. Particularly bearing in mind that infrastructures are getting better across Europe and there are more candidate cities after USSR and Yugoslavia split

Last summer he attacked the big clubs here for their huge debts, then this year Real borrow Billions and he says fuck all!?
To boot one of the worst structural league systems in Europe is the French one, where if you qualify for the champions league the rewards are so much bigger than compared to the rest that the domination of those clubs is ensured.
If you mean money from their League, it's their business. If you mean money from UEFA, we have this problem in Greece. UEFA allocates a specific sum for each country (don't know exactly how they calculate it) and it is divided to the teams that make it to the Groups Stage. So last year Panathinaikos and this year Olympiakos received a huge boost, not because of their own performance, but because of their fellow Greeks' failure. Which is ridiculous...

Here are some quotes from the wally...

Good work! You CERTAINLY have a case there...
Laughing

antfouk

Back to top Go down

Post  simonofi Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:25 am

The clown's Europa League 5 officials experiment starts tonight.
Oh joy.

I believe there is a consensus amongst the major European clubs that UEFA's meddling often has a negative impact. Although I accept to get them to agree on anything going forward is pretty much impossible.
simonofi
simonofi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum